COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS Jan. 23
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
The annual Emerald Coast Boat Show, with boats on water and on land, will be held Jan. 23-24 at the Emerald Coast Convention Center and Brooks Bridge Marina on Okaloosa Island. Admission and parking is free.
Destin's Pioneer Settlers
The Destin Library will host a presentation, Destin’s Pioneer Settlers, at 2 p.m. Jan. 26. The presentation is free and open to the public. Seats will be limited for this presentation and interested individuals are encouraged arrive early for this program.
Destin's Founding Father
Hank Klein presents Leonard Destin: Destin's Founding Father at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 26 at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave. Call 837-8572 for reservations.
Margaret R. McDowell, firm founder of Arbor Wealth Management, LLC, a fee-only registered investment advisory firm, will host “Preparing Your Portfolio for 2016” at 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Jan. 28 in the Arbor Wealth Conference Room. Call 608-6121 to reserve seating. Refreshments will be served.
Computer Tech 2016
Northwest Florida State College will host Computer Tech 2016 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 30 in the Student Services Center on the Niceville Campus. The event, offered through the Personal Enrichment program of the college's Professional and Continuing Education Department, is free and open to the public. The theme for Computer Tech 2016 is “Never Stop Learning.” To preregister and to view the schedule of events, visit www.nwfacug.org.
Understanding Mental Illness
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the Mental Health Association of Okaloosa and Walton Counties will offer a free 12 week course to help individuals cope with mental illness of family members and friends from 6:30-8:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 2 at the Mental Health Association, 571 Mooney Road in Fort Walton Beach. Seating is limited. Reservations must be made by calling the Mental Health Association at 244-1040.
Women's Literature Circle
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a four-week Women’s Literature Circle with Dr. Patricia Moran at 1 p.m. Feb. 2, 9, 16 and 23. The program is free and open to the public. Call 837-8572.
The 13th Annual Chocolat' Fare will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 13 at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, in the DLC building. Everything chocolate will be available for purchase. Sweet treats for your Valentine await All proceeds go to various mission projects.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 19 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Community Center. There will over 50 vendors showing handcrafted jewelry, woodcarvings, paintings, food items and much more. Vendor booths are available for $45/residents and $55/non-residents. Admission is free to the public. Call 654-5184 for more information.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Library Seeks Volunteers
The Destin Library is seeking volunteers to teach or assist with the upcoming spring 2016 instructional computer program. Typically volunteers have experience using various software programs, online applications and devices. For a complete list of proposed workshop topics and tentative workshop dates, contact Will Rogers at email@example.com or 837-8572.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Jan. 26 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Group meets on the last Tuesday of every month.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts): Capoeira is a Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music. Classes are on Wednesdays 7-9 p.m.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class will be held on Thursdays. Beginner lessons 12:30 p.m. Open dance is 1:15-1:45 p.m. Intermediate lessons 1:45 p.m. Fee is $6.
• Pickleball: Sessions are 12-2 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. Monday; 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Wednesday; and 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Friday. Lessons are offered Wednesdays from 1:3 p.m.). Fees: $3/ nonresidents or $2/Destin year-round residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Make reservations at 654-5184.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided. Fee $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays for all levels. Bring a mat and water.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.