COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS Jan. 30
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Understanding Mental Illness
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the Mental Health Association of Okaloosa and Walton Counties will offer a free 12 week course to help individuals cope with mental illness of family members and friends from 6:30-8:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 2 at the Mental Health Association, 571 Mooney Road in Fort Walton Beach. Seating is limited. Reservations must be made by calling the Mental Health Association at 244-1040.
Women's Literature Circle
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a four-week Women’s Literature Circle with Dr. Patricia Moran at 1 p.m. Feb. 2, 9, 16 and 23. The program is free and open to the public. Call 837-8572.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd, Ste Q104, in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. the first Thursdays of the month.
The 17th annual Camellia Workshop/Open House/Plant Sale, presented by the Greater Fort Walton Beach Camellia Society, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 6 at the Okaloosa County Extension Service Building, W. 127 Hollywood Ave. in Fort Walton Beach. The event is free.
The Joy Circle of First Presbyterian Church, Fort Walton Beach, will hold its 15th Annual SERRV Market of fairly traded International Crafts from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 6, 9 and 13; and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 7 and 14 at the church, 134 Beal Parkway, in the Fellowship Hall. Call 243-3732.
Bazaar/Flea Market Sale
Assorted crafts, knit and crochet items, knick knacks, kitchen gadgets, small appliances, books and magazines, religious goods and an assortment of sweets, cookies, cakes, pies, and much more will be on sale from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 6 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Social Hall at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 307 Beach Drive in Destin. Church Ladies Sodality is renting tables for $30 good for the two day sale. To reserve a table, call 837-3443 or 654-5422.
The 13th Annual Chocolat' Fare will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 13 at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, in the DLC building. Everything chocolate will be available for purchase. Sweet treats for your Valentine await All proceeds go to various mission projects.
Spring Craft Show
The City of Destin’s Annual Spring Craft Show will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 19 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Community Center. There will over 50 vendors showing handcrafted jewelry, woodcarvings, paintings, food items and much more. Vendor booths are available for $45/residents and $55/non-residents. Admission is free to the public. Call 654-5184 for more information.
Bowling & Breakfast
The Destin Forward Class of 2016 will host Bowling & Breakfast from 8:30-10:30 a.m. March 4 at Uncle Buck's Fishbowl & Grill. Enjoy 2 hours of bowling for up to 6 with shoes provided. Addition attendees $15 each. Hot breakfast buffet provided by Uncle Buck's. Proceeds benefit Food For Thought in renovation and expansion of the new distribution center in Destin.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Library Seeks Volunteers
The Destin Library is seeking volunteers to teach or assist with the upcoming spring 2016 instructional computer program. Typically volunteers have experience using various software programs, online applications and devices. For a complete list of proposed workshop topics and tentative workshop dates, contact Will Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 837-8572.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Covenant Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 2-3:30 p.m. Jan. 26 in the Suite 3 Education Center at Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. Group meets on the last Tuesday of every month.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class will be held on Thursdays. Beginner lessons 12:30 p.m. Open dance is 1:15-1:45 p.m. Intermediate lessons 1:45 p.m. Fee is $6.
• Pickleball: Sessions are 12-2 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. Monday; 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Wednesday; and 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Friday. Lessons are offered Wednesdays from 1:3 p.m.). Fees: $3/ nonresidents or $2/Destin year-round residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Make reservations at 654-5184.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided. Fee $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays for all levels. Bring a mat and water.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.