COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS March 2
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Osaka's Month of Giving
Osaka Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar at 34745 Emerald Coast Parkway in Destin will host a Month of Giving with 20 percent of proceeds from lunch and dinner to benefit charities. The Emerald Coast Children's Advocacy Center will receive proceeds March 3 and Sinfonia Gulf Coast March 7-10. Patrons must mention the charity for them to receive proceeds. To make a reservation, call 588-8403 or visit http://www.osakadestin.com.
The First Baptist Church of Destin Child Development Center will hold its annual Book Fair from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. through March 4.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd, Ste Q104, in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. the first Thursdays of the month.
Lenten Fish Fry
The Knights of Columbus Emerald Coast Council will have a Fish Fry Dinner from 4-7 p.m. March 4 at Corpus Christi Church, 307 Beach Drive in Destin. Plates are $10/adults and $4/children.
Bowling & Breakfast
The Destin Forward Class of 2016 will host Bowling & Breakfast from 8:30-10:30 a.m. March 4 at Uncle Buck's Fishbowl & Grill. Enjoy 2 hours of bowling for up to 6 with shoes provided. Additional attendees $15 each. Hot breakfast buffet provided by Uncle Buck's. Proceeds benefit Food For Thought in renovation and expansion of the new distribution center in Destin.
The American Legion Post 296 will have a Veterans Fundraiser from 2-5 p.m. March 5 at 311 Main Street in Destin. Cajun Ray will fry his famous fish and Dan Woods will provide Karaoke music.
To celebrate Boys & Girls Club Week an open house will be held from 4-6 p.m. March 7 at Destin Elementary School.
Social media workshop
The Destin Library will host a computer workshop, Social Media, from 1:30-2:30 p.m. March 7 and March 14. The program is free and open to individuals holding a valid Okaloosa County Public Library card. Pre-registration is required at 837-8572. Registrations will be taken on a first-come basis.
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host An Afternoon with Francois-Marie Benard at 2 p.m. March 11 at the Destin Library. The program is free and open to the public. Benard will share his books, poems, and optimistic outlook on life. He is the co-founder of the Emerald Coast Philosophical Society, an acclaimed poet, accomplished Impressionistic-style artist, Hollywood movie star, and author.
GOP Reagan Dinner
The Okaloosa GOP Reagan Dinner begins at 5 p.m. March 12 at the Ramada Plaza Beach Resort, 1500 Miracle Strip Parkway SE. Keynote is former Secret Service Agent, Security Consultant, Radio Host and Fox News contributor Dan Bongino. Texas Senator and retired Army Lieutenant Colonel Brian Birdwell, a decorated survivor of the 9/11 Pentagon attack, will also speak. The Mulligans will provide music. Both silent and live auctions will be held. Tickets are $65/person; $55/students. Get information on sponsored tables and tickets at www.OkaloosaGOP.com or call 512-584-4589.
AARP tax help
Volunteers from AARP will provide free individual federal tax assistance on an appointment only basis from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through April 14 at the Destin Library. Make an appointment at 837-8572. Assistance is limited to 2015 federal income taxes only. No state income tax returns can be prepared. No federal income tax returns with rental income can be prepared.
The Choctawhatchee Audubon Society will hold a bird walk March 12 at South Walton Courthouse and local area to search for early migrants and warblers; lunch afterwards. Meet at the Bluewater Bay Winn Dixie parking lot at 7:30 a.m. or the SoWal courthouse at 8:15. Call 499-9269.
•March 19: Field trip to 7 Pines Nursery to see a native plant nursery and farm. Meet at the Niceville CVS parking lot at 7:30 a.m. For additional information call 830-8996.
• March 26: Field trip to Eglin Reservation with experienced birder Malcolm Swan and search for Bachman’s Sparrows and colonies of Red Cockaded Woodpeckers. Participants must purchase an entry permit from Jackson Guard prior to the event date. This can be done online at Jacksonguard.com. Meet at the Air Force Armament Museum parking lot at 7 a.m. Call 210-343-9082.
Family history workshop
The Destin Library will host a hands-on free Family History workshop, Who Is in Your Family Tree, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. March 15 in the computer lab. The program is free and open to the public. Registrations will be limited to 18 participants on a first-come registration basis. To register, call 837-8572. Registrations will be taken on a first-come basis and require registrants to hold a valid Okaloosa County Public Library card.
A workshop to assist students in Okaloosa County High Schools who will take the April 9 ACT and May 7 SAT will be held from 2-5 p.m. March 28-29 and April 11-12 at Fort Walton Beach High School and 2-5 p.m. March 30-31 and April 13-14 at Niceville High School. All materials, snacks and drinks are furnished. Students need to bring calculators. Registration deadline is March 16. For information, contact Alice Hart at 615-585-2401, email Amhart1966@aol.com or contact your high school guidance department.
Dentistry from the Heart
Drs. Olivier Broutin, Amber Wiebe and Lauren Crawford will offer free dental work starting at 7 a.m. March 25 at Smileology in Niceville, 4400 Hwy. 20 Ste. 101, and in Miramar Beach at 12273 Hwy 98 Ste. 117. First 25 patients at each location will be treated.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Library Seeks Volunteers
The Destin Library is seeking volunteers to teach or assist with the upcoming spring 2016 instructional computer program. Typically volunteers have experience using various software programs, online applications and devices. For a complete list of proposed workshop topics and tentative workshop dates, contact Will Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 837-8572.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, will be held at 9:50 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information e-mail email@example.com
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held on Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m. for children of all ages and from 7-9 p.m. for adults 18 and over.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Line Dancing: Class will be held on Thursdays. Beginner lessons 12:30 p.m. Open dance is 1:15-1:45 p.m. Intermediate lessons 1:45 p.m. Fee is $6.
• Pickleball: Sessions are 12-2 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. Mondays; 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Wednesdays; and 10:30 a.m. to noon and 12-1:30 p.m. Fridays. Lessons are offered Wednesdays from 1:30-3 p.m.). Fees: $3/ nonresidents or $2/Destin year-round residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Make reservations at 654-5184.
• Senior Games: Olympic-style competitions in February emphasize healthy and active lifestyles for men and women, ages 50 and over. The registration fee is $10 for the first event and $5 for each additional event. These games are a qualifier for the Florida Senior Games and the 2017 National Senior Games.
• Table Tennis: Tuesdays from 2-5 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided. Fee $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Yoga: From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays for all levels. Bring a mat and water.
• Youth dodgeball: From 6-8 p.m. Thursdays for ages 9 to 14. Fee is $3/session for nonresidents and $2/session for residents.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.