COMMUNITY HAPPENINGS May 28
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Memorial Day Ceremony
The public is invited to attend a Memorial Day Ceremony presented by the American Legion at 11 a.m. May 30 at the Destin Memorial Cemetery, 111 Stahlman Ave. For information, call the Destin Community Center 654-5184.
Memorial Day Ride and Ceremony
For the fifth year, the Vietnam/Legacy Vets Motorcycle Club (MC), Chapter Z, will present a Memorial Day Ceremony at the Fallen Soldier Monument May 30 at Niceville City Hall. The event begins with a motorcycle ride that departs the Bayou Plaza parking lot in at 11 a.m. proceeding to City Hall. Guest Speaker will be Colonel James A. Diddle (USAF Retired). After the ceremony, American Legion Post 221, Niceville, will have a cookout, music and 50/50 drawing.
Destin Elementary is accepting kindergarten registrations for the next school year for a student 5 years old on or before Sept. 1. Some of the documentation required along with filling out a registration packet is birth certificate, proof of being a Destin resident, a current physical that will not expire before the first day of school on Aug. 10, and an updated shot record. Registration packets are available at the school daily from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Adult Coloring Book Club
The Destin Library’s Adult Coloring Book Club will be held from 10 a.m. to noon June 2 and will continue thereafter on the first Thursday of each month. The program is free, but there may be a need for donations of colored pencils in the future. Both coloring books and pencils will be provided. Call 837-8572.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd, Ste Q104, in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. the first Thursdays of the month.
IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida, Inc. will host a non-profit grant workshop at 9 a.m. June 7 at Grace Lutheran Church, 4325 Commons Drive W in Destin. The discussion will include thinking outside the box, how to write a grant that gets attention, approaches to asset protection and innovative approaches to common problems.
Fourth Celebration/Bike Parade/Concert
Ages 14 and under can show off your decorated bike, scooter, etc., on the pedestrian pathway at Mattie Kelly Cultural Arts Village at 6:15 p.m. July 1. Registration begins at 5:45 p.m. No charge. Awards will be given and spectators are welcome. Refreshments for all participants. A concert with Chuck Lawson follows. Fireworks over the East Pass begin at 9 p.m.
Big Truck Day
All ages can see the trucks parked in the parking lot at the Destin Community Center from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 5. No charge.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
The WaterColor Coastal Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday at Cerulean Park. Traditional Farmers Market items such as local farm fresh produce, eggs, and dairy products will be available. There will also be a large variety of organic and homemade items such as Greek gourmet foods, hot and jerk sauces, grass fed beef, chicken, and pork. Market is held on Thursdays from March 12 through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Thursdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Emerald Coast Bridge Club will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, and Duplicate Bridge, ACBL, meets at 10 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin, in the old Parlor. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information, call 380-1558 or email email@example.com.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, include the following. Hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian Martial Art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held on Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m. for children of all ages and from 7-9 p.m. for adults 18 and over.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Dodgeball: Ages 13-16 play from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays; ages 17 and up from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays; and ages 8-12 from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Basketball/Volleyball Court, Ping Pong/Foosball/Air Hockey/Pool Tables
• Pickleball: Sessions are Mondays 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Fees: $3/nonresidents or $2/Destin year-round residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Make reservations at 654-5184.
• Senior Ping Pong Lessons: Free for Destin Seniors from 1-2 p.m. every Tuesday starting May 24. Call to sign up.
• Table Tennis: From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided.
• Youth dodgeball: From 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays for ages 13-15 and for ages 8-12 Thursdays. Fee is $3/session for nonresidents and $2/session for residents.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.