COMMUNITY CALENDAR Oct. 29
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• Board of Adjustment Hearing, 5:30 p.m. Nov. 2
• City Council, 6 p.m. Nov. 7
• Bid Committee, 9:30 a.m. Nov. 8
• Public Works/Public Safety Committee, 5:30 p.m. Nov. 8
• Harbor CRA-AC, 5:30 p.m. Nov. 9
• Special Magistrate Hearing, 5:30 p.m. Nov. 10
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast Senior Spirit program will host a free seminar featuring board certified physiatrist, Dr. Pritesh K Patel, at 10 a.m. Oct. 29 in the hospital’s Resource Center, Suite 3 Conference Room. He will speak on “The World of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation." Call 278-3600 to register.
Scary Face Pancakes are free for kids 12 and under from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Oct. 31 at IHOP.
Town Hall Meeting
Mel Ponder, Republican nominee for Florida House of Representatives District 4, wants to hear what you think needs to be accomplished in the next session. The Florida Panhandle Patriots will host this Town Hall from 6:30-7:45 p.m. Nov. 3 at the Elks Lodge on Okaloosa Island. All are welcome to attend. Your ideas are welcome, even if you do not live in District 4.
The CPAs of Emerald Coast Accounting offer a free 2-hour seminar from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 3 at Immanuel Anglican Church, 250 Indian Bayou Trail in Destin. Registration/refreshments start at 5:30 p.m. Learn to enter checks/deposits, reconcile accounts, enter vendor bills/pay bills, enter customer invoices/receive payments. Feel free to bring your own QuickBooks-loaded laptop (not required. Register by email Oct. 31 with your name, address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 837-0420.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd. Suite Q104 in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. Nov. 3.
Kitchenique Cooking School hosts Gumbo Ya Ya! Turkey & Andouille Gumbo from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 10 at The Cuvee Catering Center, 12590 Emerald Coast Parkway, Suite #C, in Miramar Beach. Cost $38. Call 837-0432.
• Chef John Jacob will be in the kitchen with new recipes to make the holidays yummy from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 19. Cost $55
• Chef Creehan presents recipes for a new cookbook featuring the health benefits of low or no sugar and simple carbs that are delicious from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 6. Cost $55.
• Girls & Grapes features sparking wines for the holidays from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 7. Cost $28.
• Hands On Basic Knife Skills teaches about the most important tool in the kitchen ... your knife from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Dec. 10. Cost $65.
• Vicki McCain, cooking school dinner, presents a New Orleans New Year's Dinner from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 29. Cost $55.
Furniture for the Heart
Risa's Interiors, 10123 Emerald Coast Parkway in Miramar Beach, will host a fundraiser for One Heart One Voice Women from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 11-12. Cash donations for gently used furnishings. Call 654-7472.
Basic Life Support Initial Classes
Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast will offer a community education American Heart Association Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider Initial course from 8 a.m. to noon Nov. 12 in Suite 1, Education Building. Cost is $50 per person. Enroll by Nov. 10 at 278-3019 or email email@example.com.
The 52nd Annual Camellia Show and Plant Sale, presented by the Greater Fort Walton Beach Camellia Society, will be held from 1-4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12 in the atrium of the Meridian (formerly Westwood) Retirement Resort, 1001 Mar Walt Dr. in Fort Walton Beach. Event is free and open to the public. For more information or to volunteer to help with the show, call 850-862-4526, or email JoeJenus@gmail.com.
Meet the Doc
Pregnant women and new moms are invited to join Sacred Heart Medical Group Pediatrics for a free “Meet the Doc” class about giving babies a healthy start. This free class will be held at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at Sacred Heart Medical Group at The Market Shops, 9375 Emerald Coast Parkway West - Unit 1 in Miramar Beach. Spouses, friends, family members and support people are also invited to attend.
Family history workshops
The Destin Library will host a series of hands-on Family History workshops, Who Is in Your Family Tree?, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Nov. 15 in the library’s computer lab. The programs are free and open to the public. New and repeat registrants are welcome. Registrants must have a valid library card from any Okaloosa County Public Library. To register, call 837-8572.
Grant writing workshop
The Okaloosa Arts Alliance will hold a grant writing workshop from 12:30-3:30 p.m. Nov. 16 at the Destin Library, 150 Sibert Ave. The workshop will cover re-searching available grants and writing grant proposals. The cost will be $15/OAA members and $45/non-members. Advanced reservations are required due to limited seating. All proceeds will benefit the OAA. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make reservations.
Patriotism and History
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will host a program, Patriotism and History, at 2 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Destin Library. The program is free and open to the public. For more than 70 years and spanning six wars, neighboring Eglin Air Force Base has played a prominent role in airpower history.
Bring your patriotism and appreciation for those who have served there as James D’Angina, a historian from Eglin Air Force Base, presents historical highlights of Eglin from the Doolittle Raiders to the present day. This will be a unique and fascinating opportunity to learn about our neighbor and the many times its people have served our country.
The Destin Library has announced a new series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held Nov. 29, the last Tuesday of the month, at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email email@example.com.
Destin Commons will host blood drives from noon to 6 p.m. Nov. 20 and Dec. 18 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 24. Those donating from noon to 6 p.m. will receive a free movie ticket to AMC Destin Commons 14. Blood donators on Dec. 24 will receive a $10 Starbucks gift card. OneBlood representatives will also do a free wellness check-up including blood pressure, temperature, iron count and cholesterol screening. Make an appointment on-line at www.oneblooddonor.org and use sponsor code #16792, or come by on dates shown.
The Destin Library's new Code Club, dedicated to enhancing the programming and coding education of today’s youth by providing free programming materials to schools and libraries, is open to children in fifth through eighth grades. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Fridays and 4:30-5:30 Tuesdays beginning oct. 25. Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. There is no cost to register. Small snacks and drinks will be provided. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Craft Show Vendor Space
Vendor booths are available for Destin’s 10th Annual Holiday Craft Show from 1-4 p.m. Nov. 18 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Community Center. Fees are $55/non-residents and $45/Destin residents. This includes an 8ft x 10ft space, one six-foot table and two chairs. Register as space is limited. Call 654-5184 for more in-formation.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, every Monday morning at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registration’s (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in person. Call 837-8572.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Emerald Coast Bridge Club will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin, in the old Parlor. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information, call 380-1558 or email email@example.com.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Alzheimer’s/Dementia Support Group: From 3-4 p.m. first Wednesday of the month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. This support group is free to the public. It is sponsored by Emerald Coast Hospice. Materials are provided by the Alzheimer’s Association. This support group can be for family members and care providers in helping to deal with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Call 654-5184 to make reservation.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Chair Yoga: Monday and Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Dodgeball: Ages 13-16 play from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays; ages 17 and up from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays; and ages 8-12 from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Basketball/volleyball court, ping pong/foosball/air hockey/pool tables
• Grief Support and Education: At 3 p.m. the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. These sessions are facilitated by Emerald Coast Hospice’s Bereavement Coordinator, Christopher Keown, and are free to the public. Anyone dealing with grief, assisting someone in their grief or curious about the experience, is welcome to join in.
• Pickleball: Play from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Mondays. Fee: $3/nonresidents or $2/residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Just bring gym shoes.
• Senior Art Lessons: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers six-week sessions for Seniors (50 years and older). The current lessons began Oct. 6 with three weeks of pen and ink, then three weeks of acrylics. Fees are $20/non-Destin residents and $15/residents. Cost includes materials.
• Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help improve balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents and $2/non-residents.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Dominoes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Table Tennis: From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided.
• Youth Dodgeball: From 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays for ages 13-15 and for ages 8-12 Thursdays. Fee is $3/session for nonresidents and $2/session for residents.
• Zumba Gold: From 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.
Referral Leaders International
More than 30 of the top Destin professionals and business owners meet Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 790 on the Gulf to share connections and referrals. Come ready to talk about your products/services and get help to grow your business. Call 897-1957.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is sponsored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Coffee and Cars
Emerald Coast Muscle Car Club hosts Coffee and Cars the last Sunday of every month at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach. For information, call 200-2465 or email email@example.com.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is invited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit ww.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130 or email www.flotilla14.info.