COMMUNITY CALENDAR Dec. 14
All area codes are 850 unless noted.
Destin City Hall
All City Council meetings, workshops, executive sessions and CRA Board meetings are held at the City Hall Annex, 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. All other board and committee meetings are held at City Hall, 4200 Indian Bayou Trail.
• Harbor CRA-AC, 5:30 p.m. Dec. 14
• Local Planning Agency, 5:30 p.m. Dec. 15
Destin Commons will host blood drives from noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 18 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 24. Those donating from noon to 6 p.m. will receive a free movie ticket to AMC Destin Commons 14. Blood donators on Dec. 24 will receive a $10 Starbucks gift card. OneBlood representatives will also do a free wellness check-up including blood pressure, temperature, iron count and cholesterol screening. Make an appointment on-line at www.oneblooddonor.org and use sponsor code #16792, or come by on dates shown.
Participate Dec. 19 in the largest wildlife survey in history, The Christmas Bird Count, organized by count coordinator Alan Knothe. Call 208-1780.
Kitchenique Cooking School presents Vicki McCain, cooking school director, with a New Orleans New Year's Dinner from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 29 at The Cuvee Catering Center, 12590 Emerald Coast Parkway, Suite #C, in Miramar Beach. Cost $55. Call 837-0432.
Food For Thought Thursdays
Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar, 435 Grand Blvd. Suite Q104 in Grand Boulevard, will give 20 percent of food and drink sales to Food For Thought Outreach during Happy Hour from 3-7 p.m. Jan. 7.
Mary Hong to speak at Library
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library presents local glass artist Mary Hong at 2 p.m. Jan. 13 at the Destin Library. The program is free and open to the public. Hong, famous for her unique mixed media approach to art, will explain how she combines paint and glass on canvas. She has previously exhibited at the Destin Library and is the recipient of the 2014 Artist of the Year award from the Walton County Tourist Development Council.
Independent Film Series
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will sponsor a movie drama, "Pay It Forward," at 3 p.m. Jan. 17 at the Destin Library. The program is free and open to the public. Directed toward a mature audience.
The Seaside Institute and the Future Symphony Institute present Building Communities with Music Jan. 26-28. Join the senior fellows of the Future Symphony Institute — philosopher Sir Roger Scruton, architectural theorist Léon Krier, and orchestral musician Andrew Balio — in company, conversation, and concert. Tuition is $500. For information and registration visit http://www.seasideinstitute.org/new-events/.
The Destin Library has announced a new series of free how-to workshops for ages 18 and up that focus on practical projects and skills you might not have learned in school. Workshop will be held the last Tuesday of the month, at 6 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided. No registration. Call 837-8572 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Destin Library's new Code Club, dedicated to enhancing the programming and coding education of today’s youth by providing free programming materials to schools and libraries, is open to children in fifth through eighth grades. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Fridays and 4:30-5:30 Tuesdays. Registration is required to participate, and will be capped at 18 students. There is no cost to register. Small snacks and drinks will be provided. Call 837-8572 or email email@example.com to register.
Tai Chi Class
The Destin Library will offer one-hour Tai Chi classes with Barbara Rezmer, a certified Tai Chi for Health instructor, every Monday morning at 9 a.m. The cost is $5/session. Enrollment is limited to 12 participants with registration’s (on a first-come first-served basis) accepted by phone or in person. Call 837-8572.
Bereavement Support Group
Share and learn more about the grief journey you are enduring with an Emerald Coast Hospice bereavement group at 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Library. Groups are free and ongoing.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams.
30A Farmers’ Market
This community event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays in Town Center in Rosemary Beach features fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, cheese and more. Market is held on Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Seaside Farmers Market
Get your pick of fresh produce, baked goods, dairy products, native plants and other unique offerings Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheatre behind Raw & Juicy. Enjoy special cooking demos and activities.
Emerald Coast Bridge Club will be held at 10 a.m. Monday and Thursday at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 307 Harbor Blvd. in Destin, in the old Parlor. Cost is $7. No partner necessary. For more information, call 380-1558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Destin Life Center
Recreation and fitness activities at Destin Life Center at Destin United Methodist Church, 200 Beach Drive, are from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sunday. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday visit the Soul Café for lunch. Call ahead for dine in or pick up. For information, call the DLC at 837-2021.
• Adult Open Soccer: From 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Adult Open Volleyball: From 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays. Fee is $2/player.
• Pickleball: From 2-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• DLC Fitness Cardio/Weight Room: Nautilus equipment, three treadmills, two ellipticals and one recumbent bike. Memberships are $40/calendar quarter; $30/month; $20/week; and $10/day.
• Community Fitness Classes: Indoor cycling, Zumba, Rise and Stretch, PIYO, Cardio Dance, Forever Young (senior aerobics) and more. Costs are $40/month; $7/class; $20/month Forever Young, fitness for seniors; and $3/individual Forever Young.
Destin Community Center
All activities are at the Destin Community Center, unless noted. Call 654-5184 or email email@example.com for information and to register. Persons with disabilities who require assistance are asked to notify the center 48 hours in advance.
• Aerobics: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. Bring water and towel. Cost is $3/session.
• Alzheimer’s/Dementia Support Group: From 3-4 p.m. first Wednesday of the month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. This support group is free to the public. It is sponsored by Emerald Coast Hospice. Materials are provided by the Alzheimer’s Association. This support group can be for family members and care providers in helping to deal with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Call 654-5184 to make reservation.
• Capoeria: Class in the Brazilian martial art that combines the elements of dance, acrobatics and music will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. for all ages.
• Chair Yoga: Thursday from 10-11 a.m. Cost is $4/class.
• Dodgeball: Ages 13-16 play from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays; ages 17 and up from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays; and ages 8-12 from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays. Fee is $2/resident and $3/non-resident.
• Game Room: Open to children age 10 and older from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Basketball/volleyball court, ping pong/foosball/air hockey/pool tables
• Grief Support and Education: At 3 p.m. the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month at the Destin Senior Center in Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. These sessions are facilitated by Emerald Coast Hospice’s Bereavement Coordinator, Christopher Keown, and are free to the public. Anyone dealing with grief, assisting someone in their grief or curious about the experience, is welcome to join in.
• Pickleball: Play from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Lessons are 12:30-1:30 p.m. Mondays. Fee: $3/nonresidents or $2/residents. Racquets and balls are available¬¬. Just bring gym shoes.
• Senior Art Lessons: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers six-week sessions for Seniors (50 years and older). The current lessons began Oct. 6 with three weeks of pen and ink, then three weeks of acrylics. Fees are $20/non-Destin residents and $15/residents. Cost includes materials.
• Senior Chair Exercise 50+ years: Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10-10:45 a.m. consists of performing light exercises to help improve balance, flexibility, strength, and circulation. Free/residents and $2/non-residents.
• Senior Drop-In Hours: The Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive, offers senior drop-in hours from 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday and Thursday for Seniors (50 years and older) to meet and enjoy each other’s company, participate in games such as Mexican Train Dominoes, Scrabble, cards, etc.
• Senior Knitting: Sessions and lessons for beginners and all skill levels from 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Destin Senior Center at Buck Destin Park, 724 Legion Drive. No registration required.
• Table Tennis: From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Paddles and balls provided.
• Zumba Gold: From 11 a.m. to noon a.m. Thursdays. Fee is $6/session.
Referral Leaders International
More than 30 of the top Destin professionals and business owners meet Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 790 on the Gulf to share connections and referrals. Come ready to talk about your products/services and get help to grow your business. Call 897-1957.
To become more effective communicators and leaders, visit one or more of the Toastmasters clubs at the following locations or visit www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club.
• Club 702 White Sands Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. Thursdays at 415 Racetrack Road NE in Fort Walton Beach.
• Club 1919 Emerald Coast Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at Education Bldg 251, Room 122 on Eglin AFB.
• Club 9478 Hurlburt Toastmasters, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Education Center Bldg. 221, Classroom L on Hurburt Field.
• Club 724908 Destin Toastmasters, 5:45-7:15 p.m. 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month at Walton County Utility Building.
• Club 817348 Crestview Toastmasters, 6-7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Crestview.
• Club 851515 Lake DeFuniak Toastmasters, 12-1 p.m. 2nd and 4th Thursday each month at Northwest Florida State College, Room 103 at the Chautauqua Center.
Seniors of Destin
The Seniors of Destin meet the fourth Friday of the month for a covered dish and to celebrate all birthdays for the month. The program is sponsored by the city of Destin and Gentiva Home Health. Each month has a featured guest speaker that pertains to senior living. Call 685-5310.
The Main Street Betterment Alliance meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the American Legion, 311 Main Street. Call 837-3818.
Destin Business Builders
Destin Business Builders Networking group meets from 7:15-8:45 a.m. every Wednesday at the Destin United Methodist Life Center. Call 651-1300 ext. 13.
Coffee and Cars
Emerald Coast Muscle Car Club hosts Coffee and Cars the last Sunday of every month at Uptown Station in Fort Walton Beach. For information, call 200-2465 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Buying Club
A small group interested in eating healthy and purchasing smart meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 125 Scottsdale Court in Mary Esther. On the second Tuesday, the group meets at Fountain Square in downtown Fort Walton Beach for the Growing Local film series. Call 863-4040.
Kiwanis Club of Destin
The Kiwanis Club of Destin meets every Thursday at 8 a.m. at the Destin Methodist Church Life Center on Beach Drive in Destin. The public is invited to attend the club’s weekly meetings.
The Destin Rotary meets at 7:15 a.m. every Tuesday at Rutherford’s 465. Visit www.facebook.com/pages/Rotary-Club-of-Destin/241220675890226.
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary
Flotilla 1-4 USCG Auxiliary meets at 8 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month at Coast Guard Station Destin on Okaloosa Island. Anyone wishing to become a member is welcome to attend. Prior military duty is not required. Call 865-9130 or email www.flotilla14.info.