ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT May 22
To list your event, email email@example.com at least two weeks prior to event.
Wednesday Night Concert Series
Bring your chairs and blankets and enjoy a free concert under the stars with Lauren Saint Jane at 7 p.m. May 22 in the Events Plaza at Baytowne Wharf.
May 29: Chris Alvarado
June 5: The Blenders
June 12: Gold & Motion
June 19: Stephen Simmons
June 26: Boukou Groove
July 3: Luke Langford Band
July 10: Forrest Williams Band
July 17: The Shakedown
July 24: Geoff McBride
July 31: Donovan Keith
Aug. 7: Boukou Groove
Aug. 14: Big Al & The Heavyweights
Aug. 21: Rust & Gold
Aug. 28: Chris Alvarado
Concerts in the Village
The Ultimate Eagles Tribute — On The Border, treats the audience to an authentic concert experience while journeying through The Eagles' songbook at 7 p.m. May 23 at the Mattie Kelly Cultural Arts Village, 4323 Commons Drive W in Destin. Bring a bottle of wine, your favorite craft beer, some snacks and a blanket or chair. Food and drinks available for purchase. Tickets can be purchased at the door with general admission $15 per adult and free to MKAF members and kids under 12.
• May 30: Blackberry Breeze, a pop reggae trio entertaining audiences to the max with high-energy, get on your feet music.
• June 6: Triggerproof, with a style that puts pop, rock and hip-hop through the musical blender to recreate both popular and classic radio friendly hits that appeal to everyone.
• June 13: Back to Avalon, Nashville's premier Heart tribute band, gives a highly energetic, power-packed, amazing show.
• June 20: Monsters of Yacht, a Yacht Rock Tribute Band, delivers rocking recreations of songs from the 70's & 80's by artists like Steely Dan, Toto, Hall & Oates, the Doobie Brothers and others.
• June 27: The Maxx "We Were Funky" is back by popular demand with energetic choreography and Eclectic sound with classic oldies and today's pop music.
• Sept. 12: Rust & Gold, the most authentic sounding tribute band to Neil Young and Crazy Horse capturing the essence of Neil Young's vocals, acoustic guitar, harmonica, and electric sound.
• Sept. 19: Casey Kearney is a fresh take on the country music scene with low heart-felt ballads to upbeat crowd favorites and playful melodies.
• Sept. 26: Emerald Coast Blues Brothers enjoy making people smile and having a good time and will arrive in their movie authentic Bluesmobile.
• Oct. 3: Déjà vu delivers a wide range of music from Motown, R&B and classic rock though today's best hits with finesse and energy that leave audiences wanting more.
• Oct. 10: Forrest Williams Band will cover a variety of music, blending an acoustic guitar and harmonica as they take the stage for the concert series finale.
Eden to exhibit at Destin Library
The Destin Library will showcase the work of local artist Dorothy Eden through May 31. Eden was born in Tokyo and grew up in Fort Walton Beach. She graduated from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale with a major in fine arts. Her works have been exhibited in numerous regional shows. Eden is a multi-talented artist working in watercolor, mixed media and collage.
The Arts and Design Society features the diverse art of Corina Zalace, including black and white stippling or pointillism, watercolors, and four books she has written and illustrated, during the month of May in their studio windows in Fort Walton Beach. Window art is available for viewing 24/7, office and gallery hours are 12-4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, and 1-4 p.m. Saturday at 17 First Street, SE.
Wag the Flag
Grab your patriotic fur-baby and join in a doggie social benefiting Dog-Harmony from 5:30-7:30 p.m. May 23 in Grand Park at Grand Boulevard. Enjoy live music, raffle prizes and plenty of people and puppy treats. Please, no prong collars. No charge.
Memorial Day at HarborWalk
Celebrate Memorial Day at HarborWalk Village with live music on the main stage wiith Heritage from 7:30-10:15 p.m. May 25 and Andy Velo from 7-9 p.m. May 26. Fireworks over the Destin harbor at 9 p.m. followed with Fire Spinning from Just Add Fire follow Velo. On-site parking is $10.
Memorial Day Celebration
Kick off summer with a free Memorial Day Celebration at The Village of Baytowne Wharf beginning with Forrest Williams Band in the Events Plaza from 7-9 p.m. May 25. Free children activities will be from 6-9 p.m. May 26 with Coconut Radio playing from 7-9 p.m. and fireworks at 9 p.m. The Sandestin Owners Association presents a special Memorial Day ceremony at 7 p.m. May 27.
Monday Movie Night
Bring the family to the harbor to enjoy the free movie "Lilo & Stitch" at 8 p.m. May 27 on the Main Stage at HarborWalk Village.
Bring your own chair or blanket and join the Emerald Coast Theatre Company at 8 p.m. Thursdays May 30-Aug. 1 in Grand Park for a free family-friendly theatre performance. A themed kid’s craft pre-show will be held from 7-8 p.m. In the event of rain, event will move upstairs at 560 Grand Boulevard.
Grab a lawn chair or blanket and cozy up on the Events Plaza Lawn at the Village of Baytowne Wharf for the free film "Incredibles 2" at 8 p.m. June 2.
June 9: Moana
June 16: Sharktale
June 23: Mary Poppins Returns
June 30: Sing
July 7: Paddington 2
July 14: Monsters Inc.
July 21: Madagascar
July 28: Inside Out
Aug. 4: Beauty and the Beast
Call to Artists: Phobia Show
The Arts and Design Society is calling all artists to participate in their upcoming “Phobia” Show, open to all interested artists. All art, in any medium, must depict a phobia, their own or otherwise. Cash awards. Turn in work from 1-4 p.m. June 1 or 9 a.m. to noon June 3. A copy of the entry form with details is available at http://artsdesignsociety.org/ and in the Gallery, 17 First Street, SE, in Fort Walton Beach.
Family Moonwatching Night
Explore the wonders of the night sky from 7:30-9 p.m. June 11 at Clement Taylor Park on Calhoun Avenue. The Destin Library is joining forces with the Northwest Florida Astronomy Association and 501st Legion Parjai Squad to bring you an evening of moonlit fun. This is an all-ages family event. No registration is required. In the event of inclement weather activities will be held in the library Calhoun Room. Costumed Stormtroopers and/or other Star Wars Galactic Empire performers will be present.
Independent Film Series
The Friends Guild of the Destin Library will sponsor a showing of the drama/comedy "The Old Man & the Gun" at 2 p.m. June 18 at the Destin Library. The free movie is open to the public and directed toward a mature audience.
Based on the true story of Forrest Tucker and his audacious escape from Sam Quentin at the age of 70 to an unprecedented string of heists that confounded authorities and enchanted the public.
Grand Boulevard Farmers’ Market
The market will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in Grand Park in Miramar Beach between Cantina Laredo and Tommy Bahama’s. Vendors will offer locally sourced food-based items including produce, eggs, milk, butter, grass-fed beef, chicken, lamb, and pork, honey, pickled vegetables and gourmet jams. Market is held on Wednesdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
30A Farmers’ Market
Walk through the park like setting with shade trees, a fountain, cobblestone walkways and visit friendly farmers and bakers from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays at Seascape Resort Towne Centre in Miramar Beach.