Tiki hut catches fire at AJ's

Matt Algarin
First responders from the Destin Fire Control District responded to a fire at AJ's Seafood and Oyster Bar that was caused by the hut being pushed against a chimney, firefighters say. There were no injuries.

First responders were on scene at AJ's Seafood and Oyster Bar shortly after 1 p.m. after the roof of a tiki hut near the restaurant caught fire.

According to Battalion Chief Bronson Coleman from the Destin Fire Control District, the Waterside Jewelry hut's roof caught fire while being "backed up" to a chimney on the exterior of the building. The fire started after the indoor fireplace was "fired up."

"It was accidental," Coleman said, noting that the flames were extinguished before firefighters arrived.

About a half dozen fire extinguishers could be seen littered on the ground near the tiki hut, which is located on the restaurant's west side near the Rodeo t-shirt trailer. AJ's employees were cleaning up the area when The Log arrived on scene.

There were no injuries.