Your Mardi Gras Party Planner
Your Mardi Gras Party Planner
The good times will roll at points throughout Destin and South Walton. Here’s a roundup of weekend Mardi Gras-related events.
Mardi Gras Masquerade
The fourth annual Mardi Gras Masquerade will be held from 6-8 p.m. Feb. 8 on Main Street and in Center Plaza at Destin Commons. The family friendly event features live music with local favorite Heritage, a Cajun boil, Louisiana gumbo from Time Out Sports Bar, arts and crafts, face painting, street dancing, Captain Davy pirate magic and a luminous Mardi Gras Parade and fireworks finale at 8 p.m.
Mardi Gras Dog Parade
The 10th Annual Mardi Gras Dog Parade begins at 2 p.m. Feb. 10 at Baytowne Wharf. This year's theme is Tail-Gates & Touchdowns: Paw-ty in the Endzone! Donation of $5-$10 to participate, with proceeds to benefit Alaqua Animal Refuge.
The streets will be filled with costumed dogs, in their favorite team's colors, and their humans throwing a myriad of throws, beads, and parade favors. Themed convertibles, small floats (especially pulled by masters), golf carts, bicycles, and decorated wagons will be everywhere and Mardi Gras music will fill the air.
Baytowne Bash Fat Tuesday Parade
The 11th Annual Baytowne Bash Fat Tuesday Parade takes place at 5 p.m. Feb. 12 at Baytowne Wharf.
Let your hair down on what many call the most festive day of the year, Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. “Laissez les bon temps rouler” (let the good times roll) with the parade rolling through Sandestin. Yell “throw me something mister” as unique and colorful floats, golf carts, and pick-up trucks roll down the streets and marchers dressed up in all their Mardi Gras best shower parade-goers with a barrage of beads, moon pies, and other trinkets.
The post-parade celebration continues into the night with street performers, “throws” tossed from balconies on Main Street, and parties at various Baytowne establishments.
The Fifth Annual Mardi Gras on the Destin harbor with stilt walkers and the Village Brass Band, begins at 8 p.m. Feb. 8 with a Mardi Gas Pub Crawl led by Destin Nights. For a $10 donation, participants receive a wristband good for free Mardi Gras swag, drink specials and live music throughout the evening. Proceeds benefit American Cancer Society Relay for Life.
• Grande Mardi Gras Parade: More than 100 parade entries will roll, float, pedal and push their from AJ's Seafood and Oyster Bar to the west end of HarborWalk Village 2 p.m. Feb. 9. All parade participants and the viewing public are asked to bring boxes of food or cash donations for Destin's Harvest House.
• Texas Hold ‘Em on The Harbor: The Rotary Club of Destin hosts a Mardi Gras dinner, blackjack and raffle prizes at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 9 in the HarborView Room. For tickets, visit www.holdemontheharbor.com. Proceeds benefit the humanitarian projects of The Rotary Club of Destin.
• Mardi Gras Pardi Paddle: Sponsored by Kitty Hawk Kites, the event begins at noon Feb. 10.
• Mardi Gras Concert: Enjoy Blues, Rock and Zydeco music with The DizzyJukes Band at 2 p.m. Feb. 10.
• Fat Tuesday: Free Red Beans and Rice and Hurricanes specials at 5 p.m. Feb. 12, sponsored by Village Merchants and Poppy's Crazy Lobster.
Seaside Kids Mardi Gras Parade
Join Seaside for the Seventh Annual Seaside Kids Mardi Gras Parade from 12-3 p.m. Feb. 10. The parade starts in front of Seaside Kids (Seaside Beach store), and all kids are welcome, both the young and young at heart.
Visit the store between noon and 2:00pm to make your own mask and other creative crafts to get into the festive spirit.
After the parade, head down to the Seaside amphitheater from 3-5 p.m. to see a special Zydeco concert guaranteed to get you up on your feet and dancing.