Police blotter: Brothers feud over bag of trash; tackles and Tasings follow

From staff reports

A man got into an argument with his brother over a bag of trash. Somehow out of that, he ended up being Tased and arrested for obstruction.

The incident occurred at a Woodwind Drive residence in Destin, according to an Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office arrest report. Deputies who responded to the scene were told the man, who is 21 years old, argued with his brother (no age listed) about taking out the trash. The man told his brother to take out the trash and instead, the brother went around to the side of the house and sat there for some time. The man went to find his brother, grabbed him by the back of the neck and told him to get back to the front of the house and throw out the trash, the deputy wrote in the arrest report.

While walking to the road, the brother threw the bag of trash back at the 21 year old, then took off running. The 21 year old chased him through neighbors’ yards and back to their house, where he tackled him. The brother hit his head against the driveway upon being tackled, the report said.

The 21 year old is then said to have locked his brother out of the house until the trash was thrown out. He said he heard glass break (the report didn’t say what had been broken) and opened the front door and again told his brother to throw out the trash, but his brother refused and said he needed his shoes. When the brother got his shoes, he walked around the side of the house.

His mother offered to go outside and clean up the broken glass, but the 21-year-old told her no and went looking for his brother again. And again he grabbed his brother by the neck and ordered him to clean up the broken glass. Once the glass was cleaned up the 21 year old released his brother, who started to take the trash toward the road, then threw the bag at the 21 year old. Another chase and tackling ensued.

When the 21 year old confirmed the details of the incident a deputy said he’d be arrested for battery. The deputy said the 21 year old refused to cooperate, compelling the deputy to threaten him with his Taser. At that point the 21 year old took off running. He jumped three fences and ran into Regatta Bay Boulevard where he entered a wooded area.

Other deputies arrived and set up a perimeter. The deputy who had chased the 21 year old entered the woods and looked for him. He spotted him lying down and ordered him up. The 21 year old again refused to cooperate and the deputy Tased him, the report indicated.

The man was charged with battery and obstruction without violence. His plea date is Dec. 17.