Top five reasons to attend the second annual Eggs on the Beach BBQ Competition
Fall is the season for football, tailgating and comfortable temperatures. Now there is a new fall tradition in South Walton, the second annual Eggs on the Beach Big Green Egg Fest BBQ Competition. Presented by Bay Breeze Patio, Eggs on the Beach will be held Sept. 26 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Seascape Resort in Miramar Beach. Big Green Egg enthusiasts will showcase their innovative recipes prepared on the Big Green Egg smoker/grill as they compete for the “People’s Choice” Award and valuable prizes.
Seascape Resort will be filled with the sweet smell of barbecue, and while the scent alone is probably enough to lure foodies from around the region, event organizers have outlined the top five reasons not to miss the 2015 Eggs on the Beach Egg Fest:
1. Taste 25 Delicious Samples. Teams will cook up their favorite grilled and smoked recipes on the Big Green Egg for attendees “tasters” vote for their favorites. The biggest challenge is voting for only five delectable dishes.
2. Meet Celebrity Guests. This year, Eggs on the Beach will welcome celebrity judges, including Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe and Bad Byron (Byron Chism). Dr. BBQ is a successful chef, author, and a familiar face on many popular cooking shows, including Food Network’s “Chopped,” NBC’s “Food Fighters,“ and Food Network’s “Tailgate Warriors with Guy Fieri,” among others. He’s authored eight cookbooks and will be personally signing copies of his newest cookbook, “Flavorize.” Dr. BBQ will be joined by Bad Bryon, founder of Bad Byron’s Butt Rub, who has been a competition cook for more than 15 years. Ranked among the top 10 KCBS barbecue champions for seven consecutive years, he holds more than 57 Championship titles. His latest passion is bringing barbecue traditions internationally, and recently won Grand Champion at Bohemian Bluegrass & BBQ in Prague, Czech Republic.
3. Enjoy Live Music. Eggs on the Beach will also satisfy musical appetites with live performances by local favorite Chris Alvarado. Based in Santa Rosa Beach, Alvarado is an award-winning singer/songwriter and recording artist with numerous awards including two Beachcomber Awards for “Best Solo Artist” and “Best Singer/Songwriter.”
4. Support Local Non-Profits. This fun, family-friendly barbeque competition will benefit the Fisher House of the Emerald Coast. With every delicious bite, tasters will be helping military families while they are receiving medical treatment. In addition, the non-profit cook team with the most votes will receive $500 in cash toward their cause. Non-profit teams include Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation, Food For Thought, Rotary Club of Destin, Emerald Coast Theater Company, Fisher House of the Emerald Coast and Air Command Associate.
5. A Chance to Win the Big Green Egg Mini-Max. Eggs on the Beach will include a silent auction and great prizes. One lucky winner will walk away with the portable Big Green Egg Mini-Max. For those who don’t win but long to own a Big Green Egg, attendees may purchase one of the demo Eggs used during the event at a discounted price.
Eggs on the Beach will also feature a Kids’ Zone with face painting, and cash bar featuring beer from Abita Brewing Company, wine and sodas. Advance ticket prices are $25 for adults and $13 for children ages 11-17 are available at www.eggsonthebeach.com. Children age 10 and under are free. Tickets are $35 at the gate.