Annual boat parade entertains crowd
The docks were packed with people trying to find the best spot on the harbor to enjoy the 31st annual Holiday on the Harbor Destin Boat Parade.
A variety of boat types, from charter boats to pontoon boats, used their Christmas spirit to decorate and display holiday cheer for the crowd and judges.
Parade officials said that 29 boats registered for the event as they made a loop in the harbor before settling in the East Pass for a fireworks show.
Mayor Scott Fischer was the Master of Ceremonies for the event. Margaritaville and Justin Cavender hosted the parade judges and museum guests.
Judges for the event were Lance Johnson, city parks and recreation director; Shane Moody, Destin Chamber president and CEO; and Sherry Rushing, recently retired TDC travel industry sales director.
Winners in each category were:
• Private 30 foot and under: Getting Nauti, captained by Dave Szklarski
• Private 31 foot and over: O Sea D, captained by Jim English
• Charter/commercial 30 foot and under: Pedal Pub 1, captained by Sheila Graham
• Charter/commercial 31 foot and over: Destiny, captained by Dennis Kendrick
• Tour boat/motorized 50 foot and under: Emerald Grande Shuttle II, no captain listed
• Tour boat/motorized 51 foot and over: Sunny Lady, captained by Alex Kent
• Sailboat 30 foot and under: Avalon, captained by David Hall
• Overall Best Entry: Southern Star, captained by Jason McGregor
• City of Destin Harbor Heritage Award: Swoop II, captained by Nick Price