Boy suffers shark bite in New Smyrna Beach, 8th reported bite in Volusia County this year
An 11-year-old Georgia boy suffered a bite to his leg, "presumably by a shark," while boogie boarding Thursday in New Smyrna Beach, the eighth reported bite in Volusia County this year, an official said.
None of the incidents have resulted in life-threatening injuries.
Previous coverage:Shark bites woman on paddle board in New Smyrna Beach marking first bite of year
More:Shark bites Miami boy near Ponce Inlet; fifth bite in 2021
The bite occurred shortly after 4:30 p.m. near the 4400 block of South Atlantic Avenue, Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue Capt. Tammy Malphurs said. The shark wasn't seen.
The boy was taken to a hospital for treatment, Malphurs said.
Volusia County regularly leads the nation in annual reported shark bites, which are almost always minor and rarely life-threatening, according to the International Shark Attack File maintained by the University of Florida. The five-year annual average in Volusia is nine.
Other bites, as reported by beach safety officials:
- A 64-year-old woman suffered a bite to her foot while sitting on a paddleboard in 8 to 10 feet of water in New Smyrna Beach during the morning on April 30. She was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
- A 21-year-old woman was wading in a few feet of water in Daytona Beach Shores when she suffered a bite to her foot during the afternoon on May 6. The woman left in her own vehicle, and officials don't know if she sought treatment at a hospital.
- A 12-year-old girl was surfing in Ponce Inlet the morning of May 27 when she suffered a bite to her foot. The girl's father took her to a hospital for treatment.
- There were two bites reported in New Smyrna Beach on June 14. A 71-year-old man suffered a bite to his foot while standing in knee-deep water. A 12-year-old boy was standing in waist-deep water when he suffered a bite to his calf. Both received treatment at the scene for their injuries, but the boy also was taken as a trauma alert to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.
- A 12-year-old boy suffered a bite to his arm while standing in waist-deep water during the afternoon of June 18 in Bethune Beach. The boy was treated at the scene and then taken by his parents to a hospital for additional care.
- An 8-year-old boy was standing in waist-deep water in Ponce Inlet when a shark bit him on the leg during the afternoon of July 4. The boy was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center for treatment.