Pirates pillage Destin Marlins on the gridiron

Tina Harbuck | The Destin Log
Destin's Trey Wainwright runs into a wall of Pryor Pirates during Thursday's middle school football game. Tina Harbuck/The Log

The Pryor Pirates dominated the Destin Marlins for a 42-0 shutout in middle school football Thursday evening in Destin.

“Honesty, I think we were looking a little ahead to next week … I hope that we are,” said Destin Coach Daniel Griffin.

In a conference game, the Destin Marlins take on Baker at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Destin. The Marlins are currently 1-1 in conference play with a 2-point loss to Meigs in the first game of the season and then a win over Lewis last week in Niceville.

“I just don’t think we were mentally prepared for tonight,” Griffin said. “We still got to get to a level where we can play two games back-to-back and not look ahead.”

In Thursday’s loss to Pryor, the Pirates scored the first five times they touched ball.

The first Pryor touchdown came in the first minute and half with Reggie Fain zigzagging for a 56-yard run for the score. Dylan Wilson ran in the two-point conversion for an 8-0 start.

Destin got the ball and made a first down on the first play from scrimmage with Trey Wainwright connecting with Max Moran for a 17-yard gain. But that was it for the Marlins as they went backwards on the next couple of plays and were forced to punt on the fourth.

Three plays later, Pryor was in the end zone again. This time, Jaden Rivera broke away for a 47-yard touchdown run. Wilson again ran in the two-point conversion.

On Destin's next possession, they gained about seven yards before having to punt it away.

Fain picked up the punt and ran it back 70-yards for a Pryor touchdown. Rivera ran in the two-point conversion and Pryor led 24-0 with two minutes left in the first quarter.

After the touchdown, Pryor went for the onside kick and recovered the ball on the Destin 45. Six plays later, the Pirates were in the end zone with Zykyth Norton hitting Jonathan Powell on 1-yard pass play. Destin stopped the two-point conversion.

Pryor scored one more time in the first half on a 14-yard run by Emery Griffin. The Marlins again stopped the Pirates on the two-point try. Pryor led 36-0 at the half.

At the start of the second, Destin had the ball first, but only momentarily. The Pirates Javaris Young intercepted a pass on the first play. Two plays later, Wilson scrambled 48 yards to the end zone for a 42-0 score.

“We were not very productive tonight offensively. I’ll take partial blame on that,” Griffin said.

The Marlins had only two first downs in the contest.

“They (Pryor) executed well on defense and had a good game plan. We just never got in a groove where we could counter it. Obviously, we don’t like any night when we get shut out,” Griffin said.