South Walton wins in first round of holiday shootout

Tina Harbuck
South Walton's Hayden Stroop takes the ball to the goal in the second half of play against the Chipley Tigers in the Bozeman Christmas Shootout in Panama City Thursday night. Stroop led South Walton with 15 points in the their 66-57 wiin over the Tigers. [TINA HARBUCK/THE LOG]

Nine players put points on the board for the South Walton Seahawks to post a 66-57 win over the Chipley Tigers in the Bozeman Christmas Shootout in Panama City Thursday night in boy’s basketball action.

“The guys did a great job and played hard,” said South Walton Coach Craig Smith.

“I think our pressure was the difference in the game,” he said.

“Our full court pressure really set the pace for the whole night. We got into a little foul trouble and had to go to the bench and that hurt us a little bit. But our guys didn’t give up all night.”

Hayden Stroop led the Seahawks with 15 points. Joining him in double digits was Cade Rowland with12 points and Barrow Holloway with 10. Spencer Burdon scored nine, while Barrett Waldrop, Dylan Hebert and Jacob Tisdale each tossed in six points.

After a slow start for both teams, the Seahawks finally got on the board with a 3-pointer for Burdon about midway through the period. South Walton made good use of the last four minutes of the first period putting up 10 points while holding the Tigers to four for a 13-4 lead.

In the second quarter, South Walton pulled away by as many as 15 points early on with Hebert knocking down a 3-pointer, Tisdale putting a rebound back. Chipley scored a bucket, and then South Walton’s Stroop hit an inside shot followed by a 3-pointer form Rowland. Chipley’s Eric Lampley scored on an inside shot, then Stroop tossed in another for a 25-10 advantage with five minutes to go in the first half.

In the final two minutes of the quarter, Chipley put up three quick baskets as well as hit three from the foul line. South Walton still led at the half 32-25.

In the third quarter, Chipley’s P.J. Spencer came out and hit back-to-back 3-pointers to close it down to a one-point game. Spence led the Tigers for the night with 21 points. South Walton answered with a trey from Tisdale. The scoring went back and forth before Chipley strung together seven consecutive points on a basket from Lampley followed by a 3-pointer from Spencer and an inside shot from Kelvin Dean, who finished up with11 points. By the end of the third quarter, Chipley was on top 45-43.

At the start of the fourth, South Walton came out and tied up the game with Holloway driving to the basket. Chipley got the advantage back on a couple of free throws from Frantravious Woods. The Seahawks evened the score again on two foul shot from Holloway and then took the lead for good with a couple of foul shots from Stroop and a 3-pointer from Rowland. In the last four minutes of the game, the majority of the time was at the foul line. South Walton made eight trips to the foul line making seven of 16 tries. Chipley made five trips and hit seven of 11 shots. Stroop mixed in a 3-pointer and a driving layup to add to the 66-57 victory.