South Walton comes up short against Bucs

Tina Harbuck

Despite a last quarter surge by the South Walton Seahawks, it wasn’t enough to overcome the early bombing by the North Bay Haven Buccaneers. South Walton lost 66-64 on the road to the Bucs in boy’s varsity basketball action Tuesday night.

“The biggest difference tonight was we let No. 1 sit out there and shoot 3s and they beat us on the boards,” said South Walton Coach Craig Smith.

Wearing No. 1 for the Bucs was Tevin Royster, who knocked down six 3-pointers on his way to a 23 total points for the night.

Royster wasn’t the only Buc to knock down a 3-point bomb. Luke Brooks, who finished with 14 points, made two 3s, while Ty Quan Chisholm, Coreyonte Turner and Ty Boles each hit one — for a total of 11 3-pointers for the Bucs.

South Walton, on the other hand, made seven 3s with Spencer Burdon, Dylan Hebert and Chandler Johnston each making two. Hayden Stroop made the other 3.

As a matter of fact, Stroop started the scoring for the night with a 3-point bomb with Cade Rowland following up with a bucket for a 5-0 Seahawk start. However, the Bucs came roaring back with Royster drilling a 3-pointer followed by three inside baskets by Luke Brooks. South Walton’s Burdon hit his first 3-pointer, but then the Bucs' Brooks and Royster nailed back-to-back bombs for a 15-8 lead. South Walton’s Barrett Waldrop scored one from the paint for a 15-10 finish at the end of one.

At the start of the second quarter, South Walton’s Rowland made a steal for a quick layup before the Bucs reeled off 10 consecutive points with Royster and Chisholm each sinking a 3-pointer. Johnston made a 3-pointer up the middle for the Seahawks, but the Bucs made a couple of free throws and Brooks popped a 3-pointer. In the last couple of minutes, Hebert scored eight points for the Hawks and the Bucs finished up with a trey from Boles for a 36-25 lead at the buzzer.

In the third quarter, South Walton closed it down to a six-point game early on, but the Bucs came back to pull away 54-42 by the end of the period.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Seahawks applied the pressure and put up 10 straight with Jacob Tisdale, Barrow Holloway, Stroop and Rowland all scoring to make it a two-point game. The Bucs widened the gap with a couple of free throws and a layup from Coreyonte Turner. At that point the scoring went back-and-forth until the Seahawks closed it back down on a 3-pointer from Burdon and a layup from Tisdale for a 65-64 game with 20 seconds left on the clock.

In the final seconds, the Seahawks were forced to foul. They sent the Bucs to the line three times and had a chance at possession only to hand it back over to the Bucs. North Bay scored one last point from the line to secure the win.

“We had all the opportunities in the world to put it in, the ball just bounced their way tonight,” Smith said. “We’ve got to keep going back to the drawing board.”

Up next for the Seahawks is a 7:30 p.m. game Jan. 16 at home against the Walton Braves.