MAKO MADNESS - Back-to-back shark hit the docks

Capt. Curt Gwin, left, and the crew aboard the Only Way hauled in a 668.1-pound Mako on Thursday while fishing to the east Destin. Standing to the left of the fish is the angler Zach Wolf, along with Travis and Randy Royall.

Not one, but two Mako shark were brought to the docks at Fishing Fleet Marina late Thursday afternoon.

Capt. B.J. Teems on the Realin Script backed in with a Mako on the back deck a little after 5 p.m. In seconds a crowd had gathered on the docks as they pulled the shark onto the scales.

The shark weighed in at 232.8 pounds.

Teems said it took about 20 minutes to get the shark in the boat.

"We caught it right on the second sand bar in about 15 to 20 feet of water," Teems said. They were fishing to the west of Destin near Navarre.

"This is my first one," Teems said as they posed for photos with the shark.

Not long after Teems' shark was pulled off the ropes, Capt. Curt Gwin and crew on the Only Way backed down with a Mako tied off to the back of the boat, with just the tail sticking out of the water.

Once the boat got close, it was obvious that it was a massive shark.

As a matter of fact, it took six guys on the pulley to hoist the Mako out of the water and onto the scales.

The shark tilted the scales at 668.1 pounds.

With a bigger shark, the crowd got bigger and more excited as did the anglers.

"It was awesome. It only jumped once, but it was a great jump," said Zach Wolf who pulled in the 600-plus pound shark.

"It went crazy when it first took the bait," Wolf said. "It didn't jump right then. It just started ripping drag. It ripped drag probably two or three times a couple of 100 yards just instantly in a couple of seconds."

After the long run it jumped.

"It looked like something out of Jaws … where it was trying to get a seal. It started coming at us and I had a lot of slack in the line. I thought I pulled him off, but then it got tight again," Wolf said.

Captain said they were cobia fishing to the east of Destin near Topsail Beach in about 15-feet of water when they hooked the Mako.

"He was swimming right on the bar," Gwin said.

"We tried to get him to eat two or three times," Wolf said, noting it finally took a bonito.

With help from Kyle Buffkin from the Sure Lure crew, the guys on the Only Way were able to wire and gaff the shark and tie it off the side of the boat about 10:30 a.m.

Capt. Gwin, along with Wolf and Travis and Randy Royall continued to search for cobia.

"We only saw one cobia, but it wouldn't eat. I think the Mako scared them all off," Gwin said.